Zucchini and corn are two of my favorite ingredients commonly found growing in the fields of eastern Long Island (New York) during the summer harvest season.
Low Fat and High Fiber Zucchini Corn Pancakes
Choose Organic Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal (or corn flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Optional: sea salt
- Freshly found black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked corn, mashed with a fork
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup low fat, fat-free or soymilk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
In a bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. In another bowl, beat together egg, milk, corn, zucchini and scallion. Stir wet ingredients into dry until just combined. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Pour batter into pan to make four pancakes. Cook until golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with plain yogurt. Serves 4.
Nutrition Facts per serving (103 grams) (without added sea salt): 134 calories, 4.6 grams fat, 31 milligrams sodium, 21.5 grams carbohydrates, 2.5 grams dietary fiber, 4 grams protein, high in vitamin C and iron.