With cold winter days and the holiday hoopla upon us, it’s important to be mindful about staying hydrated this season.
1. The cold and flu season strike in winter. Staying hydrated helps prevent germs from penetrating past our mucous membranes.
2. Excess alcohol consumption during the holidays can cause dehydration. Remember the rule to drink a glass of water before and after a cocktail or other alcoholic beverage.
3. Shopping requires concentration. If you’re not drinking enough water, you are more likely to get tired, distracted and make poor buying decisions. Often stores offer free bottles of water so just ask a sales assistant before you get started.
4. With dark and cold days ahead, we tend to drink more coffee. Although recent research suggests coffee may not contribute to dehydration, unlike herbal tea, it’s not a replacement for water. Consider substituting a cup of herbal tea for that second cup of coffee!
5. Heating a home removes moisture from the air, which can lead to dry skin and bad breathe. More reason to keep a pot of herbal tea on the stove and drink up!
If you are bored of plain water, doctor it up with a splash of citrus juice. Other beverages that hydrate include coconut water, sparkling water, herbal tea, kombucha, smoothies, low fat milk and kefir.
Layne’s Healthy Winter Smoothie Recipe
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen blueberries
- 3 dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) cocoa powder, preferably raw
- 2 tablespoons no-salt almond butter, natural
- 1 medium banana
- 1 handful (about 1-cup) baby spinach or other greens
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 2 cups (500 mL) low fat plain kefir
Combine ingredients in a blender or food processor, or with a hand blender, until smooth. Serves 4
Nutrition facts per serving (191 grams): 165 calories, 5.9 grams fat, 69 milligrams sodium, 298 milligrams potassium, 22.5 grams carbohydrates (13.4 grams sugar), 4.1 grams dietary fiber, 8.3 grams protein.
• 20 percent Daily Value for vitamin A
• 18 percent Daily Value for calcium
• 15 percent Daily Value for vitamin C
Looking for that perfect healthy holiday gift? Check out my award-winning lifestyle cookbook: Beyond The Mediterranean Diet: European Secrets Of The Super-Healthy.