Kale Avocado Salad with Roasted Carrots Recipe
Love avocados and kale? Here is a great way to enjoy these nutritious foods. Recipe serves 6.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients (use organic when available):
2 ripe fresh avocados, peeled, pitted and cubed
1 pound bag baby carrots
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt (use less if you’re on a sodium restricted diet)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (15.5 ounce) can chick peas, drained
1/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 large bunch kale (about 1 pound), stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Heat oven to 400°F.
2. In a bowl, toss carrots, oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and pepper.
3. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet; bake 20 minutes. Add chick peas and walnuts to pan, stir and return to oven.
4. Bake until carrots are brown and tender, an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
5. In a large bowl combine kale, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and half of the avocado.
6. Massage kale with both hands until the avocado is pureed and the kale softens and turns bright green, about 2 minutes.
7. Add half of the carrot mixture to the kale; toss.
8. Place in a large serving bowl. Top with remaining carrot mixture and avocado.
9. Season with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
If you serve the Parmesan cheese on the side, then this recipe works for vegans.
Note: Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Total Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 392 mg
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Total Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 20 g